There are several ways to avoid the pitfalls of online dating. Here are some tips you can follow:
- Research the person you’re chatting with before meeting in person. Use online search engines to see if you can find any information about this person, such as news articles or social media.
- Take your time getting to know the person you’re chatting with before you decide to meet. Don’t be in a rush to meet in person and don’t accept invitations to impromptu meetings.
- Be vigilant about the information you share online. Don’t give your real name, address or phone number to anyone you don’t know well.
- Meet in a public, well-lit place for your first meeting. Take a friend or family member with you if possible.
- Watch out for signs that might indicate the person you’re chatting with online isn’t being sincere. For example, if the person refuses to answer some of your questions or asks you for money, this could be a sign that it is a scam. If you have any doubts, it is best not to continue the conversation.